ASSISTANT GENERAL COUNSEL
$82,830 per annum (DOE)
DEPARTMENT NAME AND NUMBER RECRUITMENT OPENS AND CLOSES
Law Office 2009-154 January 22, 2009 to February 4, 2009
(Location: Governance Center, 525 W. Access Rd., Sacaton)
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The Assistant General Counsel assists the General Counsel in providing legal advice and legal representation to the Gila River Indian Community.
· Assist the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel in advertising and representing the Community in any and all legal matters in Tribal, State and Federal Courts and/or provide assistance on legal matters and act as Special Counsel to the Pima-Maricopa Irrigation Project (P-MIP_.
· Prosecute criminal cases in Tribal Court to specifically include interviewing complainants, preparing and processing complaints and prosecuting criminal trials.
· Represent the Community in child welfare cases, including dependency, abuse, and neglect actions in Tribal Court, and the Indian Child Welfare Act cases in State Court.
· Represent the Community in civil court cases as necessary.
· Advise Community officials, departments and committees concerning legal matters.
· Assist the Legislative Committee in revising and codifying the laws and ordinances of the Community.
· Draft and review contracts, documents for the Community and Economic Development projects and transactions.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
· Considerable knowledge of the principles of jurisprudence;
· Working knowledge of Arizona revised statutes;
· Working knowledge of United State code and case law;
· Considerable working knowledge of the United States Congressional legislative process, federal policy and federal legislation affecting Indian Tribes;
· Ability to conduct independent legal research and to develop logical conclusions and recommendations based upon existing law and valid precedent;
· Ability to express ideas clearly, orally and in writing;
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, Community Officials and the general public;
· Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position; agree to maintain a Drug-free workplace.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Graduate of an accredited law school with a Juris Doctorate degree and member in good standing, of the State Bar of Arizona or willing to take the next scheduled Arizona Bar Examination.
Valid state driver’s license with proof of driving record for the past 39 months will be required to qualify for a tribal driving permit. Proof of driving record must be submitted with application.
OVERTIME STATUS: Salaried
SUPERVISORY STATUS: Non-Supervisory
Reports to General Counsel or Designee
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25, U.S. Code, Section 472 and 473). The Gila River Indian Community is also committed to achieving the full and equal opportunity without discrimination because of Race, Religion, Color, Sex, National Origin, Politics, Marital Status, Physical Handicap, Age or Sexual Orientation. In other than the above, the Gila River Indian Community is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are claiming Preference Points in one or more of the following categories please attach a copy of the required documentation to the completed Employment Application.
· Six (6) preference points for Community Members (with proof of enrollment)
· Three (3) preference points for Native Americans (must meet membership requirement of an established Tribe)
· One (1) preference point for Spouse of Community Member (with proof of spouse enrollment)
· One (1) preference point for Veteran (must meet statutory requirements)
DEADLINE: Employment Applications are available at all District Service Centers, the Human Resources Department and online at www.gilariver.org. Employment Applications must be received in the Human Resources Department by 5:00 pm on the closing date.
TO AVOID DELAYS, APPLICATIONS CAN BE MAILED OR FAXED TO:
Gila River Indian Community, Human Resources Department
Post Office Box 97
Sacaton, Arizona 85247
Fax: (520) 562-9809